Thursday, January 13, 2011

Wolf Hall

Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall tells the story of Thomas Cromwell and his life as the right hand man to Henry VIII.  It also tells of the rise of Anne Boleyn from a lady of the court to Queen of England.  It also hints at the future queen, Jane Seymour.  For those interested in an historical novel, this is a great read.  However, I did not like the manner in which the author wrote.  Her use of tenses throws the reader and for that I do not rate the book highly, although it was the winner of the 2009 Man Booker prize.

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite a prolific reader and enjoy a challenge but have to agree with the above post on the authors use of tense in the book, it is often impossible to know what is being spoken, what is being thought or what is narrative comment. I am only a quarter-ish way through the book and I will persevere as anyone who was paying half an ounce of attention in high school history will know it's a great story but can't help thinking the author would have benefitted from using say 'first person' rather than the more confusing 'he' only to then speak within that dialogue of a 'he' it's confusing and the reader really does have to pay attention and read carefully to follow this book. A huge English history fan, a lover of the Tudor era (possible geek like passion here) so I'm able to use my own knowledge to piece together bits and bobs, follow the charachters perhaps a tad easier than if I was picking up this book from scratch. A great story but a confusing read!

    ReplyDelete